Thursday, May 12, 2005

Wed, May 11: Quarryville, Pa. to Phoenixville, Pa.: 55 mi, 4.3 hr

The hills east of Quarryville are much more gentle than those on the west side. Many Amish farms. As I passed a farmer plowing a very large field, he waved so I waved back and then stopped to take a picture. Since he initiated the greeting, I felt a picture was okay.

Shortly after that I observed a very powerful memorial at the end of a church driveway - two riderless children's bicycles standing side-by-side.

With directions from my niece, I found my way to her home in Phoenixville. After turning onto their road, it was easy spot their house because her husband, Steve, and her mother-in-law, and a photographer from the local newspaper were waiting in the driveway.

It was great to see all the nieces and nephews on my wife's side of the family at supper.

Tomorrow, Thursday, will be an off day. On Friday, Steve, a former bicycle racer, will ride to Ocean City. I'm looking forward to riding with no panniers on the front and rear of my bike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home